How to Pray the Rosary
The purpose of the Rosary is to help keep in memory certain principal events of our salvation.
There are total 20 mysteries reflected upon in the Rosary. These 20 mysteries are further divided into 4 major categories
- 5 Joyful Mysteries ( Said on Monday and Saturday)
- 5 Luminous mysteries ( said on Thursday)
- 5 Sorrowful mysteries (said on Tuesday and Friday)
- 5 Glorious mysteries ( said on Wednesday and Sunday)
As a exception we can recite Joyful mysteries on Sunday during advent and christmas. While Sorrowful mysteries can be recited on the Sunday’s during lent.
You might wonder of all the incidents in our Lord’s life, the Rosary only considers these particular twenty.
The mysteries of the Rosary are based on the incidents in the life of our Lord and his mother that are celebrated in the liturgy.
There is a parallel between the main feasts honouring our Lord and his mother in the liturgical year, and the twenty mysteries of the Rosary in one day reflects on the whole liturgical cycle that the church commemorates during the course of each year.
That is the reason why some of the popes have referred to the Rosary as a compendium of the Gospel. One cannot change the mysteries of the Rosary without losing the indulgences that the church grants for the recitation of the Rosary.
Praying the Rosary
- Make the sign of cross
- Holding the Crucfix , Say the Apostles creed
- On the First bead, say our Father
- Say one Hail Mary on each of the next 3 beads
- Say Glory to be
- For each of the five decades, announce the mystery (perhaps followed by a brief reading from the scripture) then say our father
- While fingering each of the ten beads of the decade, next say ten Hail marys while meditating on the mystery
- Say Glory to be
After finishing each decade, recite the following prayer requested by Blessed virgin Mary of Fathima.
(O my Jesus , forgive us our sins , save us from the fires of hell; lead all souls to heaven , especially those who have most need of your mercy.)
9. After saying the five decades , say Hail holy queen , followed by this prayer.
V: Pray for us, O holy mother of God.
R: That we may be made worthy of the promises of christ.
Let us Pray :
O God , whose only begotten son , by his life , Death and Resurrection , has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant , we beseech thee , that while meditating on these mysteries of the most holy Rosary of the blessed virgin Mary , We may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same christ our lord Amen.
Hail Holy Queen
Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy,
our life, our sweetness and our hope.
To you do we cry,
poor banished children of Eve.
To you do we send up our sighs,
mourning and weeping in this valley of tears
Turn then, most gracious advocate,
your eyes of mercy toward us,
and after this exile
show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb,
O clement, O loving,
O sweet Virgin Mary.